In 2012 365 million tons of freight moved over and through the region’s roads, rails, airports, and ports. A 67% increase in freight movement is expected by 2045.
Accommodating the anticipated growth in freight movement requires a regional planning approach focused on efficiency and sustainability. NYMTC's member agencies and staff collaborate with a variety of stakeholders in planning for freight transportation in the New York-New Jersey-Connecticut metropolitan region. NYMTC’s Freight Transportation Working Group provides a forum for that collaboration.
Goals and Outcomes
The Regional Freight Plan's desired freight outcomes are built on the framework of NYMTC's new Regional Transportation Plan - Plan 2045. These 8 goals are:
- Enhance the regional environment;
- Improve the regional economy;
- Improve regional quality of life;
- Provide convenient, flexible transportation access within the region;
- Enhance the safety and security of the transportation system for both motorized and non-motorized users;
- Build the case for obtaining resources to implement regional investments;
- Improve the resiliency of the regional transportation system; and
- Preserve the existing transportation infrastructure.
2018-2045 Regional Freight Plan