Walking and bicycling are among the most energy efficient and environmentally benign forms of transportation, in the NYMTC planning area.
NYMTC's members recognize that all travelers, including pedestrians and bicyclists, should have safe access to streets and roadways.
Plan 2045 includes a federally-required Pedestrian-Bicycle Element built around five broad objectives to further enhance pedestrian and bicycle systems:
- Improve pedestrian and bicycle safety
- Improve the pedestrian and bicycle network
- Support the creation of sustainable communities
- Support economic development
- Contribute to the improvement of public health
The Pedestrian-Bicycle Element draws on pedestrian and bicycle planning undertaken by NYMTC members in the Lower Hudson Valley, Long Island and New York City.
2018-2045 Pedestrian-Bicycle Plan